GROUNDS PREPARATIONS FOR FALL SEMESTER
It’s that time of year again! Students are returning to campus, football is around the corner and it is one of the busiest times of year for SSC Grounds Maintenance. August is incredibly busy for everyone in Grounds, so what are we all doing?
• Structural Pest Control - Utilized a Bed Bug sniffing dog to inspect nearly 7100 dorm and apartment rooms for bed bug activity prior to them being occupied. They also inspected another 94 apartments on campus for any insect activity as part of the make-ready process to prepare them for occupancy.
• Mulching - Teams from throughout Grounds have prepared tree rings and beds for mulch. We have put out over 1500 Cubic Yards of mulch on campus in August alone.
• Fire-Ants - All priority and tailgate areas have been assessed and treated for Fire Ants prior to students’ arrival. We continue to inspect and provide treatment as necessary to tailgate areas throughout the season to ensure the safety of all who are here to cheer for the Aggies.
• Trash Barrels - SSC Grounds provides trash cans to tailgate areas throughout campus. Every year we replace about 300 of our 1200 trash cans (55gallon steel drums) due to age. We purchase the 55 gallon steel drums, clean, sand, and paint them “Aggie Maroon” so they can be distributed in tailgate areas of campus throughout football season. The Sanitation Team also gets Work Orders for multiple events at the start of school and we provide trash barrels for these as well.
• Horticulture - These teams are running full speed weeding and cleaning ornamental beds around campus ensuring that campus looks amazing as everyone returns.
• Flower Teams - This team is busy changing and taking care of annual color beds and containers all over campus. They are working as I write this to plant the “HOWDY BED” in red, white and blue in remembrance of the 20th anniversary of 9-11, it’s going to be beautiful.
• Irrigation - As we all know, August in College Station is brutally hot and this calls for irrigation to be running smoothly to keep everything watered. These associates work very hard to make sure irrigation stays in working order, provides adequate coverage, and is set to water at prescribed intervals. It’s a lot of work.
• Mowing - It’s growing season and these teams are working overtime to keep the grass mowed, edged and trimmed in order to keep campus looking manicured at all times. It is a hard, thankless job that seems to never be complete but these teams do an amazing job and campus looks great!
• Trees - We love our trees at Texas A&M and our tree team works very hard to take good care of them. They also spend a great deal of time making sure limbs are trimmed so that people can easily traverse campus, whether walking down the miles of sidewalks that meander through campus or driving our roads.
• Sports and Recreation - Intramural sports is a huge part of the college experience, this team makes sure that experience is as good as it can be by making sure these field are properly maintained and set up for a variety of sports.
There are hundreds of things the Grounds Department oversees to keep campus beautiful, it’s time to show it all off. We hope you enjoy the wondrous beauty this campus has to offer!
submitted by Bryan McGee